The Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies, a postgraduate programme to support the study of Japanese Studies in either Japan or the UK, were launched in 2015.
The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation gratefully acknowledges additional support for this programme from Daiwa Securities Group Inc.
The intention is to support six individuals in any given year, of whom at least three must study full-time at a university in Japan.
The deadline for the 2019 programme is Thursday 24 January 2019. interviews will be held on Thursday 14 March 2019.
You can find a link to the Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies 2019 flyer here.
Candidates for the Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies must be:
- UK citizens who hold or are completing a degree in Japanese Studies, defined as a course focussing primarily on the study of Japan, and containing a substantial Japanese language component. Applicants who hold (or are completing) combined honours courses where Japanese Studies accounts for at least 50% of the course are also eligible to apply. The Scholarship would be to cover a further course of study related to Japanese Studies.
- enrolled* or enrolling in a further course of study related to Japanese Studies in either Japan or the UK.
*Please note that Scholarships will not be granted in arrears.
Strong Japanese language ability will be a key selection criterion.
Scholarships will not be awarded to former recipients of Daiwa Scholarships or to the same individual more than once.
Conditions of Scholarship
- Of those applicants seeking funding for courses at UK universities, preference will generally be given to students who will undertake part of their studies in Japan.
- Scholarships will be awarded to cover the whole period required to attain the degree in question. In cases where the applicant has already begun his or her studies, the Scholarship will fund the whole remaining period required.
- The Scholarship will cover university fees for the course in question, plus living expenses. Living expenses will be payable at a rate of £1,000 per month for periods spent in the UK, and ¥260,000 per month for periods spent in Japan.
- The Foundation will only cover the equivalent of home student fees (domestic student fees).
- The Foundation will meet the cost of one economy class return air fare between the UK and Japan in the case of Scholars who will be flying out to Japan to begin their course of study.
- The Foundation will meet the cost of one economy class return air fare per annum between the UK and Japan in the case of relevant travel being undertaken.
- Continuation of funding will be conditional on satisfactory progress being made. Scholars will be required to submit annual progress reports to the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation.
- Amounts payable to Scholars in receipt of other funding (e.g., a salary; Great Britain-Sasakawa Foundation, JSPS, Japan Foundation, MEXT university scholarships or bursaries) will be reduced by the amount of this other funding.
- Scholarships will not be granted in arrears.
- Scholarships will not be awarded to former recipients of Daiwa Scholarships or to the same individual more than once.
Any queries can be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org.